Jul 24 2007

Brewing at Home

Published by at 4:43 pm under Brew

Every summer, I say I am not going to brew, it is just to difficult to keep the beer at a nice cool tempter during fermentation. I always end up brewing anyway, thinking this year will be different. guess we will see I started a brew. I got out all my equipment ans washed and sanitized it. I use Five Star Sanitizer In my opinion there stuff is the best for home brewing. After cleaning and sanitizing I started to biol the water. 0.jpg I never use tap water I just don’t want it to affect the taste of my beer so I only use bottled water.1.jpg I like to have several spoons clean and ready to go, it kinda sucks when you have to stop every thing because a spoon fell on the floor, then you have to clean it , it is much nicer just to have another one ready to go. After the water boils a wile2.jpg I add my dry grain 4.jpg5.jpg7.jpg I bought my dry grain at Culver City Home Brewing Supply. Nice people over there helpful to. Next let the grain steep in about a gallon and a half of water this almost like making tea. after about half an hour or so I strain the grain. 10.jpg 15.jpgI just use a regular strainer you could use cheesecloth or an grain bag if you want. I spage the grain, and I add about another 2 0r 3 gallons of water. 11.jpg I am also transferring into a bigger pot, I normally use a five gallon enameled canner. This is the point were I add the Malt extract 18.jpg and the first of the hops. I got the Malt extract and the hopps from The Home Wine, Beer and Cheesemaking Shop. I let this boil for about 20 or 30 minuets then I will add more hopps. Then let it biol for about 20 or 30 minuets more then sometimes more hopps and about this time I add a teaspoon and of Gypsum, and a teaspoon of Irish Moss I let it boil a little wile longer about 5 or 10 minutes. Then let it cool to speed up the cooling possess I normally put the canner is the sink that I have already filled with ice watter. When it is cool down enough I then transfer the wort into the carboy. carboy_1.jpg I fill up the to the 5 gallon mark with watter. Then add the yeast then seal it up, put on the fermentation lock. Now I will let it sit for 10 to 14 days when its ready to rack that is basically transferring from the plastic carboy into the glass. Now the hard part keeping it cool for 10 to 14 days.

Here are all the Pictures

Comments Off on Brewing at Home

Comments are closed at this time.